Just a little over a week ago, over 450 young people from across the south made their way to Asheville, NC for the 7th Southeast Student Renewable Energy Conference (SSREC). At SSREC, they attended workshops, heard inspiring keynote speakers, and connected with their state networks. On Sunday, we all marched together to take a stand against the Keystone XL Pipeline. We sent a clear message to President Obama, and it worked!! The Obama administration announced they would delay the decision on the Keystone XL pipeline until its environmental impacts have been re-reviewed. This means a 12-18 month delay that most are projecting will effectively kill the project.
Check out these videos and media coverage of our action in Asheville:
- Highlights from SSREC 2011
- Thoughts and Reflections from SSREC
- Solidarity march to Stop Keystone XL
- Students rally in Asheville for Clean Energy--Asheville Citizen Times
- Obama Delays Keystone XL Pipeline. Local Activists respond--Mountain Xpress
Although SSREC is over and the pipeline has been delayed, the action doesn't stop. Young people are still inspired and are ready to go back to their campuses and communities to practice everything that they learned. We are the DO something generation, and NOW is the only time.
Here's some next steps:
1. Put your group on the map to connect with other organizers. Add your group to the We Are Power Shift Groups!
2. Between now and November 2012, we are going to spend hundreds of thousands of hours standing up to Big Polluters. Show them how many hours we can work! Sign the People Power 2012 pledge!
3. Join 2 upcoming calls to continue the movement - Green fund call Tomorrow, Tuesday November 16 at 9PM EST and the State Network Leaders call on November 30th at 9PM EST
Also, be sure to check out our blog recapping each day of the conference! You can also stay up to date on what young people across the Southeast are doing. The action isn't stopping. We're just getting started!